Monday, May 10, 2010

My Hair Pretties

This is a craft that can be as simple as you'd like, or a little more complicated. One that pretty much all little girls will love! It's a hair accessory organizer!


Years ago, I found a dozen of these picket fences at a yard sale for $0.50 each. Originally, I was going to make them professionally and sell them at craft fairs. Since I never got around to making them before I closed my business I figured I'd let the Brownies go ahead and make them.


I've never seen the picket fences before or after I bought them so I don't know where you might find some. BUT you can easily use a simple wooden plaque instead.



I had found all the flower and bug wooden pieces at Dollar Tree, some of them were already painted, some not. You can pick up really nice pre-painted flowers at Michaels or Walmart even.



I let the girls decorate the pieces with glitter glues and rhinestones (rhinestones are a 'must have' for Brownies!) and color the wooden fence with markers. They each also got to pick three pre-cut grosgrain ribbons. I hot glued the ribbons on the back and the hanger on top (they got to choose which ones to put where).



After the meeting you need to spray the fences with a matte finish spray otherwise the marker ink with smudge and run (make sure you do this in a well ventilated area) Be sure to use matte and not glossy, glossy will make it run when it hits the marker. Also, the glossy takes a lot longer to dry and is harder to appy evenly.


At the next meeting hot glue clothespins to the front of the fence, or plaque, and then let the girls show you where they want the pieces to be. Once you glue those on you're done!

Not only could this be used for hair things but also to display favorite swaps from girl scout events!

No comments:

Post a Comment